Salsa is something I love to make with leftover tomatoes that I find in the fridge. The other is tabbouleh. It is a very refreshing and summery side dish that you can serve with grilled fish or chicken. Or with nachos. You can add more chillies if you like it spicier. The coriander makes the salsa, but I understand how certain people can’t really take the taste, so omit and replace with parsley if you so wish. You can also substitute the lime juice with lemon juice.
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 ripe mango, chopped into small-ish cubes
- 2 ripe avocados, chopped into cubes
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1 stalk of spring onion, sliced fine
- 1 chilli, deseeded and chopped fine
- A handful of coriander leaves, chopped fine (optional, or replace with parsley)
- Juice from 1 medium-sized lime (replace with juice from half a lemon if unavailable)
- 1/2 cup of olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
In a big bowl, mix all the ingredients together, and taste to see if you need more lime/lemon juice, and or salt. Serve immediately, or if you leave the mixture in the fridge so the flavours can mingle nicely for about an hour, then it’ll taste even yummier!