I have not posted fried rice recipes for a long time, even though I have Makmah’s Present recipe book to utilise from. I made a roast chicken recipe that had leftovers the other day and I decided to make an egg fried rice recipe (and use the leftover chicken, shredded into small chunks) for my husband. It was very fast, easy to make and very yummy! This recipe is for a plain and simple egg fried rice – I just added the cooked chicken pieces later to make it into a heartier meal.
Remember the secret to fried rice – the wok must be hot!
Ingredients: (serves 1)
- 1 portion of cooked and cooled rice (long grain rice, preferably, like jasmine or basmati)
- a handful of frozen peas, defrosted and drained.
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp of dark soya sauce
- 1 tsp of light soya sauce
- 1/2 red onion, sliced thin
- 1 garlic clove, chopped fine
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- crispy fried onions, as garnish (optional)
- a few slices of cucumber, as garnish (optional)
- 1/2 cup of leftover roast chicken, sliced into small pieces (optional)
- In a bowl, break the egg and whisk in the soya sauces. Set aside.
- Heat up the wok on medium high. Once hot, add the olive oil.
- Immediately add the chopped onions into the oil. Leave it alone too long and the oil will burn and smell funny.
- Stir for a few seconds, and then add the garlic and the peas.
- Stir for a minute or so, and make sure the garlic doesn’t burn but turn slightly golden.
- Immediately add the rice, and coat the rice grains thoroughly with the oil.
- Make a well in the centre of the rice pile, like in the picture above.
- Pour the whisked egg mixture in the centre of the well, and let it cook for a few seconds, and with your spatula, start swirling the mixture (as if you are making scrambled eggs).
- Fold in the rice from the outer parts of the well into the center, and stir to mix well.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix in the cooked leftover chicken pieces (if using) and toss around a bit more until the rice turns crispy and dry.
- Serve immediately, and garnish with the crispy fried onions and cucumbers (if using)