There are many ways to make Skordalia – some variations include the use of potatoes, but mine uses bread. Well, Kalliope uses bread for her Skordalia. Some people add walnuts in the sauce to make it nuttier and more dense. This version is walnut-less, but I shall attempt to make it one day with walnuts for a different event.
This garlic sauce is usually served with Bakaliaros – salted cod fish fried in batter. You can also serve this with fried vegetables (like courgettes and aubergines), but it goes really well roasted meats too.
- 2 cloves of garlic
- approx. 1 cup of bread, soaked in water and squeezed dry. (I included some crust to make the sauce a bit chunkier)
- a pinch of salt
- 4 tbsps of olive oil (to start, but use more if the sauce is too thick)
- 1 tsp of vinegar
- In a mixer/blender, purée the garlic with the salt, oil and vinegar.
- Gradually add the bread and mix, until you get the consistency of a thick sauce. Gradually add extra oil if it’s too thick.
- Refrigerate for at least an hour, covered, before serving.