Now who doesn’t love chocolate? This is one of the first few recipes that I started making when I moved here to Athens. This recipe has evolved a lot since then, and this is the version that I love best. This is my go-to cupcake recipe when there is a party that I want to bring dessert to. Enjoy!
- 400g flour
- 250g of brown sugar
- 100g of caster sugar
- 75g cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 eggs
- 150ml of greek yoghurt
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 175g butter, melted
- 125ml oil
- 300ml chilled water
- 100g Dark chocolate pieces (chocolate chips, for example)
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C.
- Prepare the cupcake tin with liners.
- Mix all the ingredients in its batches –
(A)Sieve the flour together with the baking powder, baking soda, salt and cocoa powder. Mix with the sugars thoroughly. Set aside.(B)Whisk the eggs with the yogurt and vanilla. Set aside.(C)Melt the butter gently in the microwave (or bain marie). In a big bowl, mix the butter and the oil and gently whisk in the chilled water.
- Add (B) to (C) and mix thoroughly.
- Add (A) and gently fold until mixed.
- Scoop into cupcake tins until halfway up. Sprinkle the top of the mixture with a small handful of chocolate pieces (or chocolate chips) and let it sink into the mixture.
- Bake in the oven for approx. 25-30 minutes, and it is best to check with a toothpick after to see if it has baked.
Decorate with Chocolate Ganache, or icing of your choice.
In a bain marie (also known as a big bowl on top of a pot of boiling water), heat up equal amounts of cream with dark chocolate. Eg: 200g of butter with 200g of dark chocolate. Mix gently until it turns lovely and creamy. Add a tsp or 2 of your favourite extract (vanilla, rosewater, or orange blossom). Once the mixture cools, it will harden slightly.