Easter is near, and what is a more suitable dish for the Greek Orthodox Easter than Roast Lamb. This is cooked in a tangy lemon marinade, and the bottom of the baking tray was lined with thinly sliced potatoes. The cooking juices will cook the potatoes and make them taste all yummy and lemony, like how the Greeks like to make their Roasted Lemon Potatoes (coming soon!). I cut some potatoes into long chunky sticks and piled them around the lamb, too, to roast. I didn’t take nice photographs when I served the lamb, I will update the pictures after Easter! (when I have made more Roast Lamb and won’t be so hungry to devour all the food.)
- Lamb shoulder
- 5-6 cloves of garlic
- 1 tsp of coarse salt
- 1 tbsp of fresh oregano (or 2 tsp of dried oregano)
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- Lemon juice from 1 big lemon
- Potatoes, some sliced thinly to cover the bottom of a roasting tin and some into chunks
- Juice from 1 lemon.
- 1/2 cup of olive oil
- Water, enough to cover and cook the potatoes
- Salt and pepper, to taste.
1. Preheat the oven to 220 degrees C.
2. Bash the garlic with the salt in a pestle and mortar into a paste, with the oregano, olive oil and lemon juice.
3. Season the lamb with salt and pepper. Baste the lamb with the paste. Leave the marinade on for at least 30 minutes.
4. Season the potato slices and chunks.
5. Coat the bottom of the roasting pan/tin with some oil and arrange the thinly sliced potatoes at the bottom of the tin. Place the lamb on top, and arrange the chunks of potatoes around the lamb.
6. Mix the lemon juice with the olive oil and some water. Pour it all over the potatoes. Add some more water just to barely cover the potatoes around the lamb.
7. Put the lamb in the oven at 220 degrees C for the first 15 minutes, and then lower the oven to 180 degrees C and cook for an hour 45 minutes to 2 hours. Once you see the lamb getting golden brown, cover with foil and let it continue cooking.
8. There is no such thing as overcooking the lamb with this recipe – the meat will be soft and practically comes off the bone.
9. Serve the lamb with the lemon potatoes!